Champs de recherche
History of Iran ; Russo-Iranian relations (diplomacy, economy, military) ; Power/knowledge nexus ; Russian intellectual history and nationalism ; Orientalism ; Russian/Soviet/Post-Soviet Iranian Studies
CNRS - UMR 7528 - "Mondes iranien et indien"
27, rue Paul Bert 94204 Ivry-sur-Seine
Tél. : +33 (0)1 49 60 40 05 (secrétariat)
- 2010-2014 : University of Manchester, UK. PhD in Middle Eastern Studies. Thesis : “Oriental Studies and Foreign Policy : Russian/Soviet ‘Iranology’ and Russo-Iranian relations in late Imperial Russia and the early USSR”
- 2005-2008 : Russian Academy of Foreign Trade affiliated with the Ministry for Economic Development. Master (1cl.) in International Economics, part-time
- 1994-1995 : Lomonosov Moscow State University (Institute of Asian and African Countries). Master (1cl.) in Oriental Studies
- 1990-1994 : Lomonosov Moscow State University (Institute of Asian and African Countries), BA (with honors) in Oriental Studies
- 2014-2015 : Tutor of Russian (9 hours a week). University of Manchester.
- 2013-2015 : Lectures and seminars in The Contemporary Middle East (MEST 30962) and The Politics of National Identity in Post-Communist Russia (RUSS30701). University of Manchester.
- 2006-2010 : Head of branch office in Tehran. Technopromexport, Iran
- 2004-2006 : Senior expert at Thermal Power Plants Construction Department (Iran, Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya). Head Office of Technopromexport, Moscow, Russia
- 2001-2004 : Business development manager. Technopromexport, Iran
- 1995-2001 : Persian language interpreter/translator : Technopromexport, Iran
- 2014 - The University of Manchester President’s Distinguished Achievement Award (University of Manchester PhD student of the Year 2014)
- 2014 - The University of Manchester Faculty of Humanities Distinguished Achievement Award
- 2013 - I.B. Tauris Prize for Best Paper at Symposia Iranica conference in St Andrews
- 2013 - CEELBAS (Centre for East European Language Based Area Studies) Grant
- 2012 - The Abdullah Mubarak/BRISMES Scholarship for 2012
- 2012 - BASEES Research Grant
- 2012 - BIPS Research and Travel Award
Affiliation à des sociétés savantes
- SIE (Societas Iranologica Europaea)
- BIPS (British Institute of Persian Studies)
- ISIS (International Society for Iranian Studies)
- MIHAN (Manchester Iranian History Academic Network)
- BRISMES (British Society for Middle Eastern Studies)
- BASEES (British Association for East European Studies)
- ASEEES (Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies)
- IIEA (International Iranian Economic Association).
Articles dans les ouvrages collectives
- “Vladimir Minorsky (1877-1966) and the Iran-Iraq War (1980-1988), or The Centenary of ‘Minorsky’s Frontier’,” forthcoming in an edited volume Russians in Iran : Ideology and Domination, eds. Rudolph Matthee and Elena Andreeva (London : I.B.Tauris, 2016), 33 pages. 12,523 words.
Articles dans les journaux scientifiques
- “Rupture or Continuity ? The organizational set-up of Russian and Soviet Oriental Studies before and after 1917,” Iranian Studies 48/5 (2015) : 695-712. 10,290 words [special themed issue, eds. Stephanie Cronin and Edmund Herzig].
- “Fearing the Ghosts of State Officialdom Past ? Russia’s Archives as a Tool for Constructing Historical Memories on its Persia Policy Practices,” Middle Eastern Studies 51/6 (2015) : 901-921. 10,923 words.
- “Individuals, Institutions, Discourses : Knowledge and Power in Russia’s Iranian Studies of the Late Imperial, Soviet and Post-Soviet Periods,” Middle East – Topics & Arguments 4 (2015) : 61-79. 11,814 words.
- “Persian studies and the Military in Late Imperial Russia (1863-1917) : State Power in the Service of Knowledge ?” Iranian Studies 47/6 (2014) : 915-932. 10,267 words.
- “The Iranian Electric Power Industry after the Islamic Revolution : Nuclear Developments and Current Conditions,” New Middle Eastern Studies 2 (2012) : 1-8. 4,631 words.
Autres publications et contributions
- "The Persia of Nowadays, or How Russia Forever Lost Ukraine" (in Persian), published on the BBC Persian website (11 March 2014). 1,945 words. http://www.bbc.co.uk/persian/blogs/2014/03/140310_l44_nazeran_persia_ukraine_russia
- "The Treaty of Gulistan and 200 years of expedient co-existence" (in Persian), published on the BBC Persian website in a special collection dedicated to the bicentenary of the Gulistan Treaty (5 November 2013). 2,271 words. http://www.bbc.co.uk/persian/iran/2013/11/131103_l44_golestan_treaty_iran_russia
- 2013 - ’Russo-Iranian Relations since the Treaty of Gulistan’. Panel guest, BBC Persian TV, ’Pargar’ programme. https://www.academia.edu/4763148/Talk_at_BBC_Persian_TV_on_the_history_of_Russo-Iranian_relations
- 2013 - present : He has also been appearing regularly as an expert guest on the BBC Persian TV being interviewed on contemporary political issues pertaining to Iran, Russia and Ukraine.
- For the papers abstracts and the full text of the articles visit https://univ-paris3.academia.edu/DenisVVolkov
Participation aux colloques internationaux et les lectures présentées
- ’Protecting National Interests or Advancing Imperialism ? Russia’s Persian Studies in the context of foreign policy towards Iran (1863-2014)’, University of California, San Diego, 13 May 2014.
- ‘Strengthening the Power/Knowledge Nexus : the case of Vladimir Minorsky (1877-1966)’. The 8-th European Conference of Iranian Studies (SIE), St. Petersburg, 15-19 September 2015.
- ‘Different eras – same Self : Life-Writing by Russian spies in Iran from the late Qajars to the early Islamic Republic – The cases of Konstantin Smirnov(1877-1938) and Leonid Shebarshin(1935-2012)’. The 7-th Biennial Convention of ASPS, Istanbul, 8-11 September 2015.
- ‘Knowledgeable Conquest or Intelligent Expansion ? The Study of the Persianate World in Fin de Siècle Russia’. Conference : The Persianate World : A Conceptual Inquiry, Yale University, 9-11 May 2014.
- ‘Vladimir Minorsky (1877-1966) and the Iran-Iraq War (1980-1988)’. Workshop : Representations and Politics of Borders and Borderlands in Eurasia : Past and Present’ University of Manchester, 13 December 2014.
- ’Individuals, Institutions, Discourses : Knowledge and Power in Russia’s Iranian Studies of the Late Imperial, Soviet and Post-Soviet periods’. ASMEA Sixth Annual Conference, Washington, DC, 21-23 November 2013.
- ‘New Foreign Policy – Updated Oriental Studies ? The Power/Knowledge Nexus in Early Soviet ‘Iranology,’ 1917-1941’. Fifth East Asian Conference for Slavic Eurasian Studies, Osaka, 9-10 August 2013.
- ‘Persian studies and the Military in Late Imperial Russia (1863-1917) : State Power in the Service of Knowledge ?’ Symposia Iranica, University of St Andrews, 13-14 April 2013.
- ‘Moscow, St. Petersburg, Tiflis : Researching Russia’s relations with Iran during the late Imperial and the early Soviet periods in Russian and Georgian archives – Fieldwork, findings, interim conclusions’ BIPS Annual Workshop, University of Edinburgh, 9 February 2013.
- ‘Rupture or Continuity ? The organizational set-up of Russian/Soviet Oriental Studies before and after 1917’. Conference : ’Russian Orientalism to Soviet Iranology : The Persian-speaking world and its history through Russian eyes’, Oxford, 30 November – 1 December 2012.
Organisation des colloques internationaux
- 2015 - Member, organizing committee : ‘How the First World War arrived to the Middle East and the Persianate World’, University of Manchester, 11-12 December 2015
- 2013 - Member, organizing committee : ‘The 19 August 1953 Sixty Years On’, International Conference, University of Manchester, 6-7 September 2013
- 2011 - Member, organizing committee : Annual BRISMES Graduate Conference, University of Manchester, 13-14 January, 2011
mis à jour le